I chose to take a look at chapter thirteen in the text book for this blog post on this wonderful Wednesday morning. The title of this chapter is style in arguments. So, pretty much this chapter explains the style and presentation of arguments. This chapter gives the reader an idea of what kind of word choice and vocabulary to use in an argument as well as how to use different special effects to enhance the argument. This chapter also gives the reader an idea of how to effectively use different punctuation marks in order to make an effective argument.
After reading this chapter, I was really interested in the section talking about special effects. Specifically, I was interested in this section when it talked about metaphors and similes. Everyone remembers their middle school and high school English teachers nagging about metaphors and similes and how important they are to literature. If you were like me, you didn't pay much attention to this. I mean isn't it enough to just know the difference between the two? Well, that is what I thought before I read this section. It is not only important to know the difference between the two but to also know how to use them in an argument. An example from the book of a metaphor is when it said "the product is like a weedwhacker for the web". This was being used to argue a new software that would filter advertisements from your computer. This metaphor gives the reader a better visual of what the author is arguing. An example from the book of a simile is when it mentioned Eminems's song, "Like Toy Soldiers". This is comparing human beings to toy soldiers. Both metaphors and similes allow the reader to view a comparison of the argument. From this, the reader can relate more to the topic of the argument due to the use of metaphors and similes. This is useful information to know because it can strengthen any argument you write about.
No comments:
Post a Comment